The Act reshapes digital content regulation, challenging decentralized platforms and raising compliance costs for new social media ventures.
The post Take It Down Act mandates social media platforms remove deepfake porn within 48 hours appeared first on Crypto Briefing.
A law requiring social networks to quickly remove sexual deepfakes and other nonconsensual imagery is now fully in force. But experts warn the policy could do little to help victims - and at worst could facilitate censorship online.
Last May, President Donald Trump signed the Take It Down Act, a law addressing nonconsensual intimate imagery (NCII). The law immediately criminalized distributing NCII, whether in the form of real or AI-generated material, something many states at least partially do already. But its namesake takedown provision is more sweeping. Taking effect a year after the law's passage - on May 19th of 2026 - it requires on …
Read the full story at The Verge.
The post A Confidential Informant’s Deepfake Indicted An Innocent Person appeared on BitcoinEthereumNews.com.
Because of deepfakes, digital evidence authentication will never be the same again. getty Federal prosecutors indicted an innocent person on fabricated audiovisual evidence last winter. Nobody challenged the file as a deepfake. The fake only came out when the confidential informant who produced it pleaded guilty to obstruction of justice at his own sentencing hearing. The case appears in the first federal survey of judges on how courts handle deepfake challenges, released March 25, 2026 by the Federal Judicial Center. Of the 931 federal judges and magistrates who responded, only 15 had ever fielded a challenge to audiovisual evidence as a deepfake. The response rate was 45 percent. Two-thirds of those 15 had seen just one such challenge across calendar years 2024 and 2025. Most cases were civil. Late last year, federal and state judges told reporters they were not ready for AI-
A romance fraud scheme allegedly drained more than $1.3 million from a City of Norfolk bank account after victims were manipulated into moving money for the scammers. Federal prosecutors say Nigerian national Habeeb Anibaba was indicted in connection with a scheme that targeted the City of Norfolk’s corporate bank account through hundreds of fraudulent transactions, […]
The post Romance Scammer Drains $1,200,000+ From City Government’s Bank Account in Hundreds of Illicit Transactions: Report appeared first on The Daily Hodl.
The FTC's enforcement of the Take It Down Act signals increased regulatory scrutiny on tech giants, potentially reshaping digital privacy norms.
The post US FTC sends compliance letters to Amazon, Alphabet, Apple over new intimate image removal law appeared first on Crypto Briefing.
The FTC's action signals increased regulatory scrutiny on tech giants, potentially reshaping compliance norms and privacy safeguards industry-wide.
The post FTC sends compliance letters to Amazon, Alphabet, and Apple over Take It Down Act appeared first on Crypto Briefing.
Violent crypto thefts are rising globally as criminals target investors through kidnappings and home invasions. Federal prosecutors have charged three Tennessee men over a violent robbery spree tied to cryptocurrency thefts across California. Investigators said the group targeted victims in several cities and used force to gain access to crypto accounts and valuables. Court filings […]
The post Tennessee Trio Hit With Indictment in Violent $6.5 Million Crypto Robbery Scheme appeared first on Live Bitcoin News.
The post Three Indicted Over ‘Brazen’ Crypto Wrench Attack Spree in California appeared on BitcoinEthereumNews.com.
In brief Three Tennessee men were indicted by a federal grand jury on conspiracy to commit robbery and kidnapping charges. The charges stem from an alleged cryptocurrency theft operation where conspirators forced victims at gunpoint to transfer millions in digital assets. One incident saw $6.5 million in cryptocurrency stolen at gunpoint, prosecutors said. Three Tennessee men have been federally indicted on robbery, kidnapping, and conspiracy charges related to an alleged multi-million dollar cryptocurrency theft operation targeting victims across California. According to a press release from the U.S. Department of Justice, Elijah Armstrong, Nino Chindavanh, and Jayden Rucker traveled from Tennessee to California and posed as delivery persons to gain access to victims’ residences in San Francisco, San Jose, Sunnyvale, and Los Angeles. Prosecutors said the men used firearm